I wake up each day still marveling that I live "on the other side of the world." Funny thing, though, where I used to live is now "the other side of the world."
We are three months into our life in Singapore; sometimes I still feel somewhat in a state of suspension. Setting up house here, planning the fish pond, searching for the perfect pot for a fountain ... setting up lawn care at the old house, going through Virginia mail, etc.
The big question I get weekly ... So how do you like Singapore? It's tough to answer—mostly because of what I wrote above. I'm still settling in here, and I still have house management stuff in the States. I generally just answer, "I like it" with a smile. What's to not like? Lots of shopping, lots of good food (especially some of my 2nd favorite cuisine, Indian); year-round tropical warmth and sunshine; the lush, green landscape.
I have decided that I am entitled to one day each week-at random-to declare that "I want to go home!" maybe cry a few tears of frustration, but the outburst can only last a few seconds. This week's outburst was used up on Tuesday morning. I went to a nearby Baptist church that hosts a MOPS group (Mothers Of PreschoolerS for those who don't know). I arrived a bit late. Not a big deal. I had attended one other time since our arrival and was confident that I could just slip in without much, if any, disruption. Well, I'm only vaguely familiar with the interior layout of the church building. Went up the nearest stairwell in the carpark. It did not lead me to the area where MOPS is held, but I found a door to the patio. I exited thinking I would just partially circle the exterior of the building and enter the fellowship area at the rear of the building from outside (which is possible.) Well, not the from the patio it isn't. And, naturally, the stairwell door locked behind me. That's okay, go around the front. From the patio some steps led me to the front entrance, which was locked. Steps led down to another patio that went ... nowhere. The driveway to the front entrance—gated and I realized ... also locked. This whole time I was carrying Lance. Oh, did I mention—this happened on my birthday? I was hot and frustrated. I put Lance down, sat on the curb and had my boo-hoo moment. I was trapped at church, yet not in the church, all access points to the outdoors were locked ... It all suddenly seemed so ridiculous; I scooped up Lance and determined that if we had to climb the wall enclosing the church grounds just to get into the church, then that is what we would do. God, fortunately, had had someone during the design (really too strong of a word here) of the church grounds install steps to a grassy area that led to the rear entrance of the building and I only had to hop a shrub to reach it. Freedom.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I'm so excited about your blog!! I can't believe you were "locked" inside / outside the church. Hopefully this will be one of those things to "laugh about" in the future!
Post a Comment